2017 has been a busy year for our Sister Parish Ministry. In this past year this ministry has dedicated their time, talent, and treasure in aiding our brothers and sisters in Nyakishenyi and continue to build a close relationship with them, despite the distance. Four members of our Sister Parish Ministry recently returned from the 3rd annual visiting delegation to our Sister Parish, Mary Queen of Martyrs and are in the process of planning the beginning stages of their next visit. In order to raise funds for the various projects needed, the Sister Parish Ministry has hosted a Dessert & Silent Auction every year, turning it into a fun, educational, and inspiring night with family & friends, all while raising money for our Sister Parish’s needs. Past Dessert Auctions have raised funds to build a new block of rooms at the Rectory and install solar lighting and a vaccine refrigerator at Nyakishenyi Catholic Health Centre.
During this past year, our Sister Parish Ministry has provided :
- Educational scholarships for 30 primary school students, 2 secondary school students, and 8 vocational students
- Medical care for a young boy with AIDS, a young boy with a urinary tract problem, an elderly woman with goiter, an elderly woman with typhoid, and over 100 children with ringworm
- 20 bags containing medical supplies, school supplies, vegetable seeds, and materials supporting community-initiated development projects
- 20 Sawyer PointONE® Water Filters with Bucket Adapter Kits
- Over 450 Days for Girls reuseable feminine hygiene kits
- 2 treadle sewing machines to our recent tailoring school graduates
- Over $1,000 of pharmaceuticals and medical supplies to Nyakishenyi Catholic Health Centre
Want to learn more about our Sister Parish Ministry? Want to contribute to this beautiful cause? Then consider attending this year’s From Africa, With Love: A Dessert & Silent Auction! Saturday, Nov 18 at 6:30pm in Camerman Hall. We are hoping this year’s event will be a tremendous success as we strive to raise $5,000 for continued improvements in education, healthcare, and access to clean water in Nyakishenyi Parish and neighboring communities.