Please call our office at (360)479-3777 if you or someone you know is in need of this Sacrament. Our parish also celebrates a semi-annual Anointing Mass and reception each February and August. Roman Catholics in the state of grace who are 65 years or older, are in frail health or are facing major surgery are encouraged to be anointed. After Mass, please join us for lunch and fellowship in Camerman Hall.
- The anointing with holy oil.
- Laying on of (the minister’s) hands.
- Prayers over the sick: “Through this holy anointing may the lord in his love and mercy help you with the grace of the Holy Spirit. May the Lord who frees you from sin save you and raise you up.”
Institution by Jesus Christ
Is anyone among you suffering? He should pray. Is anyone in good spirits? He should sing praise. Is anyone among you sick? He should summon the presbyters [priests] of the church, and they should pray over him and anoint (him) with oil in the name of the Lord, and the prayer of faith will save the sick person, and the Lord will raise him up. If he has committed any sins, he will be forgiven.
The Grace (effect)
The special grace of the sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick has as its effects:
- The uniting of the sick person to the passion of Christ, for his own good and that of the whole Church.
- The strengthening, peace, and courage to endure in a Christian manner the sufferings of illness or old age.
- The forgiveness of sins, if the sick person was not able to obtain it through the sacrament of Penance.
- The restoration of health, if it is conducive to the salvation of his soul.
- The preparation for passing over to eternal life.